5/02/2006

It seems to me that every night I come home happy even though it takes me about an hour and a half to get home because I live on Staten Island. My parents always ask me how come I have a smile on my face every time I get home and I just tell them what happens every day during our meetings and screenings. This group of kids in this program are like so different and unique. Everyone has there own style and that’s what I like about this bunch. There is not a day that I don’t laugh because of a joke one of us Fellows say and you can’t forget about Josh, he’s a pretty cool guy who has given me some tips on filmmaking. Lisa and Flonia are like totally awesome and I appreciate what they have done to get this program started (nice job on the book). Sydney and I met last year so we are like homies and I think she has done a great job with the SAI program last year and this year’s Film Fellows program. You can’t forget the Festival volunteers who are like so chill and outgoing and they help so much with getting lunch prepared and a whole lots of stuff.

Well that’s enough about what I think about the program so far, I wanted to talk about my mentor and all the tips she gave me.

On Saturday, April 29, my mentor, Diana Logreira, came by to take a look at my proposal. When I first saw her, she looked familiar but after like a half hour into our conversation she told me she was a guide at the Museum of Moving Image and that’s where I remembered her because I went on a trip there last summer and she was the guide. I don’t want to tell you about my proposal because I’m sure you will find out on Sunday when we have to present them, but Diana just gave me some tips on how to better improve my proposal. She told me to have a better analysis of my characters so that I have a better idea about my film. She also gave me some tips on how to pitch my proposal to producers and different media organizations. Diana gave me a copy of her documentary, An Outsider, which is about an Arab immigrant and his life here in America as a Laundromat owner. I really related to this film because I have always wanted to make documentaries about immigrants and their struggles in life here in America. So, my meeting with Diana went by very well and I can’t wait till the next time I see her.

Oh yeah, one more thing, I advise you to always keep your filmmaker badge on until you reach home because you never know whose on the ferry, train, or bus. On Sunday, some guy from ESPN asked me if my film was in the Festival and I said no, but he still said he wanted to see my film. So, I gave him my card and I told him to email me. So, I know how annoying it is being stared at while you're going home but you never know who’s out there. I can’t wait till Wednesday (MI3 screening).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home