5/03/2006

I went to go see the screening of the movie, Follow my Voice: With the Music of Hedwig. A film following the lives of four gay teenagers and their struggle to fit into society and finding a place safe for them. Hetrick-Martin Institute created the Harvey Milk High School program in New York, so that those teens and others like them had a place to be safe, to be themselves.

I thought the film was good and it is an important issue that must get across to the nation, but I had some issues with it. All the females in the film were depicted as masculine and all the males were depicted as feminine. I understand how a lot of gay people are just like that, but there is such a thing as being a masculine gay guy who is also attracted to masculine guys, and a feminine lesbian attracted to feminine females. The film I felt could have explored that aspect of homosexuality, the way the film depicted homosexuals seemed sort of stereotypical.

I'm not saying all this to sound harsh or homophobic, I only wished that the characters of the film were not so stereotyped. They seem also kind of exploited, because of their depiction. Overall the film was good, like I said it is an issue that needs to get across the nation, just not so stereotypical all the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home